Customer-specific solutions with measurable results
Welshpool-based CastAlum is one of the UK’s largest aluminium diecasters. When it came to choosing the supplier offering the best value turnkey package, the company opted for HELLER 4-axis horizontal machining centres equipped with pallet changer.
- In 2015, CastAlum will be required to machine at total of 700,000 castings and thus the manufacturing system had to be able to machine any type of steering gear housing or transmission case in two operations, providing flexibility of manufacture.
- Reputation for good after-sales service provided from local headquarters
- Best price-performance ratio
Project scope and solution
- Use of ten 4-axis horizontal machining centres equipped with pallet changer
- Cranes positioned between each pair of machines allow fixtures to be changed over quickly
- Castings arrive from the foundry mounted on carriers that travel on a long, U-shaped EWAB chain conveyor running past all of the H2000 machining centres
- The 4-axis horizontal machining centres can be installed progressively to suit the rising throughput and are easy to reconfigure to produce almost any component
- Apart from being reliable, the machining centres are also accurate and repeatable machines
- Due to minimised changeover times the machining centres have an average uptime of 95 percent
- Tolerances are achieved down to 10 microns
- A process capability of 1.67 Cpk is achieved
- Lean manufacturing environment in a very tight footprint